Debt Collector Harassment
Many of our clients report to us that they receive harassing telephone calls from debt collectors on a daily basis. However, many of them didn’t know that there are very strict rules that debt collectors must follow or else they violate the law. These rules are designed to protect you against harassing debt collectors, even if you owe the debt.
When debt collectors violate the law, you can fight back to get them to stop the harassment and you can be awarded between $100 and $1,000 per violation.
For example, debt collectors are not allowed to
- Call your cell phone using a pre-recorded or automated message;
- Call you before 8:00 AM or after 9:00 PM;
- Use foul or abusive language;
- Threaten to arrest you for not paying the debt;
- Call you at work;
- Pretend the debt collector is an attorney, when they are not;
- Contact or threaten to contact friends, relatives or employers regarding your debt;
- Threaten to take legal action when they have no intention of doing so;
- Continue to contact you after you have requested that they stop or after you have instructed them that you have an attorney;
Militzok & Associates is able to handle these cases and stop the harassment for no cost to you. Not only is the representation at no cost to you, but you can also be awarded money for each time the debt collector violates the law. Contact us today to discuss your case with an attorney.
For additional information on debt collector harassment, please visit our companion website at www.FLdebtHELP.com.